Sunday, March 11, 2012

A Following of Crows


I’ve been spending a goodly portion of my grocery money on peanuts for the crows. Every morning, Stevie and I circumnavigate the double city block behind our house. We walk half a block on the first leg before we meet the first large flock, thanks to a fountain and feeding station (and a lovely Poodle) at a house on the next corner. There are always a few early birds to accompany us on that first part of our jaunt.

At first, there were only a few crows; those who happened to be at the neighbor house at that hour. I could, with careful management, go all the way around the block on one pocketful of peanuts. Today, I was lucky to get half way. I have a following.

A large flock followed us on the next section of our journey, limited more by the dwindling contents of my peanut pocket than by geography. I could hear their wings as they swooped above us, a velvet softness of wing beats, surprisingly unpunctuated by caws. In spite of my quip to a neighbor, “I doubt they’re starving of the hunger if they can make this much noise,” the crows are mostly silent when following peanuts. Except for that softness of wings.

Today, motivated by a looming deadline, I defaulted on our daily trip to the dog park and took Stevie around the block again mid-afternoon. Again, we were recognized and followed by a large group. I even spied the Steller’s Jay nabbing a stray peanut near some bushes.

And again, I ran out of peanuts before I got to the vet clinic on the corner near my house. Again, I had to apologize to a small, curious crow who followed me from tree to tree, endeavoring to look like she was starving. Not successfully, but I did feel badly that I hadn’t saved any peanuts for her. There is another neighbor at this corner who smokes outside, sitting on his porch, and feeds the crows and the jays.

So this evening, enjoying our first spring sunset, since the time changed last night and we were watching the sun go down at 6:30 pm, I walked in the other direction. I was determined to have peanuts for that small crow who had perched in the tree above me, listening to my fervent apologies in silence. I had asked her to follow me home, but the crows have learned that when someone goes inside the house, the treat time is over.

I have been using body language in a consistent manner, hoping to teach them to understand when I sign that I am out of peanuts. I have also, foolishly for my grocery budget, been going outside once I get home, to offer more peanuts to those left bereft. They are never there, and the scatterings I hopefully leave on the lawn, are not usually touched.

Anyway, back to our evening walk. I heard and saw many crows, but they were all headed north-east, high in the sky. I wonder where they roost. They’re such fascinating creatures. Always, I have a soft spot for the tricksters of the animal kingdom, animal and human alike.


2 comments:

  1. If you have a feedstore anywhere nearby, you can get peanuts that are "not for human consumption" that are in big bags and much cheaper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sarah. Stevie and I sometimes nibble on the peanuts, too, although they're awfully dry. I'll look into it and make sure they're safe.

    ReplyDelete